Saturday, November 2, 2013

Halloween

I don't love Halloween.  to be honest, I don't even like it.  But not for the reasons most people don't like it.  I don't like expense that I have to put out for candy that the girls can't eat.  It just seems like such a waste.  And the girls always want to be characters in a movie instead of something simple, and they want those costumes to be exact.  No real creativity allowed.  Maybe we'll get there one day, but for now it just seems like a bunch of drama. 
 
But the girls love it, so we do it anyways.  And I try to have a good attitude about it though I'll admit that I failed in that endeavor while trying to find the jacket for Bailee's costume.  We went to several thrift stores, but she was not happy with anything because it wasn't exactly right.  Luckily Daddy came to the rescue and was able to convince her to find one that met most of her expectations, and she was happy about it.  I was very thankful that he was willing to shop with us and to step in when he saw that I was done.  :)
 
I decided to have the girls paint their pumpkins this year instead of carving.  This gave them the ability to be as creative as they wanted.  They enjoyed it and said that they want to paint again next year.
 


 
The finished products...Pinkie Pie as a vampire and a creeper.

 
The girls were very excited to get dressed up on Halloween morning.  Grandma lets them wear their costumes to school, so they get to wear them all day which makes it fun for them.  Thanks to Morgan's birthday gift from Grandma Sherry and Papa Ken, her costume was super easy this year.  We rolled her hair in curlers the night before so she could have crazy Merida curls and added a cape that we've had in the dress up box for years.
 
 
 

 
Bailee's costume was a bit harder.  She wanted to be Theadora from Oz the Great and Powerful.  I didn't want to spend the money on the actual costume.  Crazy expensive!  So we started looking around for things that we could use.  Mom had a hat that she let us dye red, and we found the jacket at the thrift store.  After all the drama at the thrift stores, she was very happy with her costume.  The makeup might have had something to do with it.
 


 
The makeup kinda weirded me out.  I was glad when she took it off that night and was back to my little girl.
 
My mom dressed up as my dad, and it was pretty funny.  The girls knew who she was right away.
 
 
We went trick or treating with the Karlssons.  It was fun to go with friends.  The girls are trading in their candy for money at the dentist, so they wanted to do a lot of trick or treating so that they could get a lot of money.
 

Morgan got tired before everyone else.  She enjoyed going through hers while everyone else continued.
 

 
When we got home, Pippa decided to check out what was in the bags.
 
 
And then she decided that she was thirsty.

 
She's so weird.
 
So that was our Halloween.  The girls had fun, and that's what matters.  I did enjoy trick or treating with friends and seeing all the excitement as their bags filled up.  That, I suppose, made all the work and drama worth it.


No comments: