Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Is Santa Real?



This is a question that I've been dreading for the past 8 years.  I decided when Bailee was born, that I'd never lie to her about this topic.  Mom tells a story about me asking this question when I was little and it was followed up by the question, "Is God real?"  I decided early on that I wanted my kids to be able to trust me, and I wasn't going to lie.  That didn't mean though that I wouldn't play along with the Santa Claus idea.  We still do stockings, write letters to Santa, sing songs about Santa, get our picture taken every year with Santa, and leave cookies out for Santa.  And in 8 years, I've never been asked directly if there is a Santa Claus.

I came very close to being asked that question yesterday.  Morgan came in the house in tears because the neighbor girl had told her that there was no Santa.  She told me, "Grace says that Santa isn't real."  I asked her, "Well, what do you think?"  And she said, "I think that Santa is real."  So I told her that if she believed it, then that was all that mattered and that she didn't need to listen to her friend.

I want them to believe as long as possible and to figure it out on their own as they grow.  I'm not sure what I'll do if they flat out ask me.  Right now I'm thinking that I'll just keep asking them what they think.  My mom wouldn't admit to the fact even when we were teens.  Ha!   She never told us that there was a Santa but she wouldn't say that there wasn't either.  I remember trying to get her to trip up every year, but I wasn't able to.  She'd say things like, "Do I look like Santa?"  Ha!

So for now my kids still believe in Santa.  After Morgan finished crying over Grace's comment, she said, "I sure hope that Santa doesn't hear Grace say that."  :)  I hope that we have a few more years of Santa.


2 comments:

Carrie said...

I dread that question too! My answer is like your's...what do you think? And it's worked for 10 years. This year Kayla has said she's not sure so we'll see. I almost want her to know & help the little ones believe longer...it sort of seemed that way with my oldest sister.

that.brenna.girl said...

My Mom did that, too! It didn't take us very long to figure out the truth, though: Dad is Santa! Who else wore the Santa hat all Christmas Eve and Christmas morning? Who else was the only one allowed to touch the presents under the tree? (Their successful attempt at controlling present chaos.) Who else was up all Christmas Eve in the living room while we huddled and listened at our bedroom door?