Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thankful Day 3


I am a day late on day 3 because I was a bit busy yesterday.

I am so thankful for our parents.

Both Ben and I grew up in homes with Christian parents who strongly influenced us and introduced us to God.  Now that we are adults with kids of our own, we understand them more and are even more thankful for them and the job that they did raising us.

And now we get to watch them be grandparents.  I can't tell you just how thankful I am that our kids have two sets of grandparents that love them unconditionally.  I've recently talked to a friend and hearing about her experience with her kids and her parents, it has solidified in my mind just how lucky our kids are.

Ben's parents don't live here, but they take every opportunity to show our kids that they are loved and are involved as much as they can be.  Sherry never misses a holiday or birthday.  When we are there visiting or she is here, she always has something in mind to do with the kids whether it is bake cookies, fill water balloons, or gather around the couch and sing songs.  These things build wonderful memories that the girls will cherish forever.



Ken is also great about making the girls feel special.  Probably one of their favorite things on our trip there this summer was when he took them out on the riding lawn mower.  He always talks with them and asks them questions that show his interest in their lives.  A few months ago he sent them a letter out of the blue.  They, of course, thought it was wonderful because they love getting mail.





It has been fun watching my dad become a Papa.  The first few days of Bailee's life were spent in the NICU.  After my c-section, I had a hard time being with her every minute because of the pain and the drugs, but I didn't have to worry about her being alone.  My dad was down there all the time holding her and singing to her.  It honestly melts my heart to think about it even now.  Morgan absolutely loves her Papa, and when she was littler, she'd always run into the church building to show him how her dress would spin.  They love the funny stories that he tells.  I love hearing them say, "Hi, Papa!" and run to give him a hug.





My mom.  What would I have done the last 7 years without her?  She is my "go-to-girl" on questions about parenting and marriage.  Who better to help you with parenting questions than someone who has finished raising her own and loves yours almost as much as you do?  Three years ago she volunteered to homeschool my girls.  I was honestly a little hesitant because I was concerned that it would somehow negatively affect their relationship, but those worries were just plain silliness.  They are closer than ever.  She enjoys doing things with the girls even on no school days, and they love her probably more than they love me.  :)  I'll never be able to thank her for how much she does for us. 



I've realized that I've been really bad at taking pictures of my mom with the girls, so this will have to do.



1 comment:

The Lady said...

OK, so I just got on your blog and found this picture of me. HA! No wonder the kids laugh at me in school when I make faces at them. I hope you know that I am very thankful for you, too - thankful that you talk to me, thankful you let me be in your girls' lives, thankful you are such a good mom, and most of all very thankful that you serve the Lord the way you do.

I'm not so sure about having to type "dumisbo" to be able to post this. :P